Item you will need:
- Sturdy boxes in a variety of sizes
- Box knife and/or scissors
- Newspaper roll ends (preferable to news paper so the print from the pages does not soil the contents)
- Bubble wrap
- Packing tape
- Permanent markers
- Note pad
- Use proper packing material and sturdy boxes. You will appreciate it in the long run.
- Place heavy items in smaller boxes (each box should not weigh more than 40 pounds) and lighter items in larger boxes.
- If possible use original cartons for electronic equipment i.e. stereo equipment, televisions, as well as small kitchen appliances like microwaves.
- Write on the outside of the box (top and side) the contents of the box and what room it will go into. Mark FRAGILE when appropriate.
- Also keep a list of boxes itemizing the boxes and their contents and where the boxes are stored.
- Use plenty of news wrap or bubble wrap when packing fragile items.
- Never use plastic or bubble wrap to protect wood. Never use tape on wood.
- Pack one room at a time
- Don’t overload or overstuff boxes
- Fill any voids with packing material to avoid items shifting
- Tie rakes, shovels, brooms, mops etc. together and store in large garbage can
- Don’t forget to same some boxes and packing material for those last minute items
Items That Should Not Be Stored
- Food – Never store food items. These attract mice and other rodents and or insects and bugs.
- Hazardous materials - items that are flammable corrosive or explosive should never be stored.
- Lay down cardboard or skids on the floor of your unit.
- Create a walkway inside your unit to allow access to your items.
- Item you will require access to should be stored at the front of your unit.
- Stack similar sized boxes together
- Place sofas on their end to use less space.
- Place mattresses and box springs on their end as well. Use mattress covers.
- Refrigerators should be dried completely and the door left ajar.
- Keep a list of your stored items and keep it in a safe place.
- Cover furniture with blankets or cardboard to prevent dust. Do not cover with plastic. Plastic may cause condensation and lead to must and mildew issues.
- Ensure all items/appliances are emptied of liquid to avoid freezing and breaking.
- Remove gas and oil from lawn mowers etc. and disconnect any batteries. Hazardous items may not be stored.
- Always disassemble furniture and tables to conserve space.